Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm back from the grave... with another new toy at tow

How long has it been since my last post?... was it like half a year ago when I did that post on the Star Wars Speeder Bike... yes it has been more than six-months ago since that last update and seriously I feel a bit strange and alienated in front of the blog editor that once became the center of my universe and going through the usual routine was a breeze that I could even go about doing a blog post even with my eyes closed. But now I feel I need to go through some serious refresher course and start from scratch (well, I guess not REALLY starting from nada) or maybe I'm just exaggerating things and all I really need to do is familiarize myself once more with the "ol' routine" and I can say for certain that I'll be back in the saddle in no time.

Since my last post on the Speeder Bike I had eventually stocked up on a few toy hauls to my collection but I have lost track on the sequencing on what did I purchase first, but it really doesn't matter that much to me now and all I need to do is make up for lost time and come up with more new updates, and six-months is a very long time... but nonetheless let's cut the chit-chat and on to my first new post for 2013.


As you all know, as a random toy collector, I always had this soft spot for second-hand toys though you may not be getting them complete (accessory-wise or package-wise) nor are they in mighty good shape but what matters to me the most is that for as long you know what you're buying and if you do like that item, no matter what their condition is, then go for it.. and that happened to me sometime around last month when I was scouting the Toy Zone haven in Greenhills and happen to chance upon this nifty toy find tucked away at a cramped display rack at this toy shop that I frequent to. I was at the right place and at the right time and I can truly say that I hit the jackpot this time around. I've been a big fan of the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion and over a period of time I was able to get for myself some of the main characters from the anime like Shinji Ikari, Asuka Langley and of course Rei Ayanami (and for some weird reason I still, up to this very day, don't have any toy figure of Mari Makinami Illustrious in my collection) but my biggest frustration are the Eva Cyborgs or those huge mechas that our main characters pilot to fend off their nemesis called Angels.

The Evangelion Type 00 -- one of my prized possessions

Back profile of the Type 00
Anyways, as I was rummaging through the stuff inside the display cabinet, I saw something familiar standing somewhere in the middle of the toy crowd and as I looked closely, and to my surprise, it was indeed the Evangelion Type 00 cyborg piloted by Rei Ayanami! I took it out from the cabinet and checked it out immediately. And like other second-hand toys, you rarely get them in excellent pristine shape with complete accessories all intact and stuff.. this Type 00 was lacking the weapons along with some of its physical detail parts missing as well, but the articulation of its bendable joints are still in good condition and making the toy stand and do other poses was possible, which for me weighed more importance rather than the missing weapons or accessories. I bought the Type 00 for only Php 250.00 (roughly around $6.00++) and that was indeed a good buy for me and a first since I now have an Eva Cyborg added to my collection.

Cyborg and pilot standing side-by-side

I know it would take another rare opportunity for me to come across another Evangelion mecha hiding somewhere out there but if I do chance upon them I will undoubtedly never take that risk and get them right away, maybe for the right price depending on the state of the toy figure. Until next time folks, stay safe always and happy toy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment