Thursday, June 23, 2011

10th Philippine Toy Convention 2011: Mission Accomplished!

My mission to attend my very first ToyCon event has been accomplished! It was truly an experience and somehow I have managed to make it through a mad crowd of enthusiastic toy collectors and cosplay lovers who came in droves and filled the entire three Megatrade Halls at the 5th Level of the SM Megamall even on its second and last day (June 19/Sunday), it was wild, crazy and very much tiring!... borrowing a quote from Resident Evil 3's Jill Valentine "... Somehow, I'm still alive..." According to ToyCon's Cholo Mallillin, the second day of the event summed up an attendance of 20,000 strong and no wonder this annual event is considered to be Asia's biggest toy convention to date.


The mere thought of having to escape the hustle and bustle of a huge crowd by going there on the second day wasn't really much of a good idea since it was literally filled to the rafters and it caused a huge frenzy even outside the premises of the event, and the mall's security personnel were having a bit of a hard time reminding the crowd of cosplayers and curious onlookers through their megaphones to clear the designated aisles for the other mall shoppers later that day. Having to arrive there shortly before lunch, the people inside were still manageable and not that crowded so I took the opportunity to take some photos for my blog and for my Facebook page and at the same time did a little toy hunting and shopping as well. Though it was a pity that I never got to purchase more stuff than what I had in my stash since the people started coming in and gradually we became like packed sardines in a can, and jumping from one booth to another was a struggle and you can't fully focus on the goods on display as well since people would bump into you from behind and you have to be mindful about your belongings... most especially your wallets! But nonetheless I still went home with a few souvenirs in tow to celebrate this first-timer's triumphant journey to the annual ToyCon event.


Despite having two sore legs and almost on the verge of collapsing from all the walking I did inside the venue, I can say it was truly worth it! Maybe I've learned a lesson or two from my first encounter with this recent convention and by the next ToyCon in 2012, I'm more prepared and I know now what to do next time so I can carefully map out my strategy in dividing my time for business and leisure. By the way guys, here are some of the photos I took during the event:


(*Click on the images for larger view and more photos inside)


Bearbricks, Munnys, Dunnys and designer toys galore at the Secret Fresh booth

Modified combat helicopter used for the G.I. Joe scale diorama

Awesome Alien vs. Predator scale diorama

Another shot of the Alien vs. Predator scale diorama

Another nifty scale diorama of miniature action figures on display

Life-size detailed figures of comic book superheroes wowed the crowd

An array of cool bust figures of movie, comic book and superheroes greeted the attendees

Cosplayers delighted the crowd and photographers with their elegant and intricate costumes

There was even a small exhibit dedicated to the late Filipino master illustrator Alfredo P. Alcala

Live performances from bands belting out their favorite anime soundtracks

No comments:

Post a Comment